Friday, June 13, 2008

Sorry, Dude

Part of my job as a sales tax auditor is to begin an audit, work on it in the field for 3 days, and then give the taxpayer a list of things I need them to do for our next meeting (usually 2-4 weeks later). I had already completed the initial fieldwork for this week's audit a few weeks ago and returned yesterday to look at records I had requested. This time was different, though.

I drive up to the parking lot and notice I'm practically the only car there! I walk inside and the owner of the company is the only guy in the building. He says that things have been slow and he's lost a lot of business (gas prices forcing people out of Hutto). Turns out he had to let a lot of people go!

So I start looking at records and setting up errors as I go along. I get up to use the restroom and pass by the breakroom... HE SOLD HIS FRIDGE!!! This guy is in bad shape! I reviewed records yesterday and finished up today. When I entered all errors into my program and got the amount of tax due, my jaw drops.

Are you ready for this? He owes........

$375,000 in tax!!!!

I haven't told him yet because I'm waiting for a few more things. With stuff like this, you have to be careful about telling them what they owe. If you scare them, they won't cooperate and it makes your job a lot harder. So I'll meet up with him again in a few weeks, finish up, and give him his bill. Oh, that's going to be a hard day.

And the thing is I really do feel bad! This is a nice guy and I'd hate for him to lose his business! But he should have paid attention to tax rules that apply to his business. Plus he's had a very high turnover rate so that probably plays a factor. But, still... damn.

I keep wondering if I set up something wrong. Maybe they're not errors. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong. Maybe he has some kind of certificates on file that prove he's taxing correctly... but I just don't see it.

I feel bad and I really hope he can pull through this. And I wonder if he'll be able to lower that amount.

No comments: